News | 8/31/2013 7:45:13 PM | ROCHESTER AMERICANS
|Forward Johan Larsson
Last week, the Buffalo Sabres announced the roster they will take to the Traverse City NHL Prospects Tournament in Michigan to defend the team’s 2011 title. The 2013 tournament, featuring the top prospects from the Sabres, Detroit Red Wings, New York Rangers, Minnesota Wild, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, St. Louis Blues and Carolina Hurricanes, will take place from Sept. 5-9.
CLIK HERE TO VIEW THE ENTIRE ROSTER
Buffalo’s three round-robin games against their Ted Lindsay Division opponents are slated for Thursday, Sept. 5 vs. Columbus (4 p.m.); Friday, Sept. 6 vs. the Rangers (4 p.m.); and Sunday, Sept. 8 against Carolina (3:30 p.m.). On Monday, the top team emerging from the Ted Lindsay Division will take on the winner of the Gordie Howe Division for the tournament championship. All of Buffalo’s games can be heard on KB 1520 AM (Buffalo radio).
Here’s a quick breakdown of the roster that will suit up in blue and gold for the Sabres:
- The Sabres roster features 11 players who suited up for the Amerks at some point during the 2012-13 season: forwards Dan Catenacci (1-2-3 in 2 GP), Zemgus Girgensons (6-11-17 in 61 GP plus a team-high 3 goals in 3 playoff games), Mikhail Grigorenko (scoreless in 2 playoff games), Colin Jacobs (1-2-3 in 11 GP), Johan Larsson (1-3-4 in 7 GP plus a team-high 3 assists in 3 playoff games), Frederick Roy (8-2-10 in 64 GP) and Kevin Sundher (4-9-13 in 38 GP), defensemen Jerome Gauthier-Leduc (3-4-7 in 48 GP) and Mark Pysyk (4-14-18 in 57 GP) and goaltenders Nathan Lieuwen (1-2-0, 2.65, .919 in 4 GP) and Connor Knapp (1-6-0, 3.34, .893 in 7 GP).
*UPDATE: On Wednesday, Mikhail Grigorenko was deemed ineligible to participate in the tournament due to the number of NHL games he appeared on the Sabres roster during the 2012-13 season.
- There are SIX first round draft picks on the roster, including three forwards and three blueliners. Joel Armia (16th, 2011), Mikhail Grigorenko (12th, 2012) and Zemgus Girgensons (14th, 2012) join defensemen Mark Pysyk (23rd, 2010), Rasmus Ristolainen (8th, 2013) and Nikita Zadorov (16th, 2013) as first round picks slated to suit up in Traverse City.
- The last Traverse City NHL Prospects Tournament took place back in 2011, and the Sabres came away with the title after defeating the Rangers in the championship game. There are five returning players from that year’s Sabres squad: Dan Catenacci, Kevin Sundher, Alex Lepkowski, Jerome Gauthier-Leduc and Nathan Lieuwen.
- Lieuwen was in goal for the 2011 championship game, stopping 21 of 23 shots in Buffalo’s 5-2 win over the Rangers. Marcus Foligno scored twice in that game while Corey Tropp netted the game-winner. Luke Adam and Catenacci also scored in the game.
- The 25-man roster breaks down as follows in terms of how the players were acquired:
- Drafted: 19 (Armia, Bailey, Baptiste, Catenacci, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Jacobs, Kea, Locke, Nelson, Sundher, Austin, Gauthier-Leduc, Lepkowski, Pysyk, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Knapp, Lieuwen)
- Free Agent: 3 (Roy, Ruhwedel, Makarov)
- Invitee: 2 (Boland, Trainor)